My name is Sherri Coursey. I live in the Decatur area and have been in Atlanta since I was a child. I am a wife, a mother to a grown son, a sister, a retiree from a 30-year previous career, and a new business owner.
My personal journey into the counseling profession has been a winding path. Professional Counseling is a second career for me that was driven by a lifelong interest in psychology and the human mind and a desire to find greater fulfillment in my work. My decision to pursue this career path was also influenced by my own positive experiences with therapy. As I faced challenging times in my life, I received helpful support, education, and encouragement through the therapeutic process. My previous business career offered me the opportunity to work with a broad range of people to build leadership and coaching skills. These skills provided a strong base for building expertise and competence as a therapist.
Highlights of My Education and Training:
- Masters of Science degree in Professional Counseling at Georgia State University.
- Bachelor of Arts – Major in Sociology and Minor in Psychology at Georgia State University
- Gottman Bringing Baby Home Educator – The Gottman Institute
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in Georgia
- National Certified Counselor (NCC).
- Working towards completion of requirements for a Registered Play Therapist (RPT) certification.
I completed my clinical internship at SafePath Child Advocacy Center, a non-profit dedicated to reducing the impact of trauma to victims of abuse, both children and their non-offending caregivers. I have over four years experience providing therapy at theCare and Counseling Center of Georgia. In addition, I provided volunteer support to the Dekalb Rape Crisis Center Crisis Line for 3 years.
To learn more, visit my profile pages at: